Unit 4 Global Warming
1. What do we use energy for? Light our cities Heat our buildings --Many things consume energy in our daily life.
2. Where does all this energy come from?
a coal power station
an oil refinery
a nuclear power plant
supplies of it never run out
non-renewable: one day they will run out.
Renewable or non-renewable? √
Renewable or non-renewable? √
? ? ? ? Coal Oil Natural gas Uranium
? Wind (wind power) ? Sun (solar energy) ? Water (hydro-electric power) ? Plant waste (biomass energy) ? Hot springs or geysers (geothermal energy) ? The sea (tidal energy)
3. What are fossil fuels?
? Ancient animal and plant material below the surface of the earth with a high carbon content, such as coal, oil and natural gas, which can be burnt to produce energy. Also known as non-renewable energy because once they are used they have gone forever; they cannot be renewed.
4. What is the greenhouse made and used for?
A greenhouse is made of glass and is used for
growing plants, especially during cold weather.
5. How does it work? The air inside is warm because the glass traps the heat from the sun and keeps it from escaping. This makes the greenhouse heat up and so the plants can grow throughout the cold period.
6. What are the “greenhouse gases”?
In the atmosphere surrounding the earth there are gases, which
are called “greenhouse gases”,
including carbon dioxide,
methane(甲烷, 沼气) and water
7. What do you think greenhouse gases do?
They trap heat from the sun and therefore warm the earth.
The Earth Is Becoming Warmer – But Does It Matter?
Look at the magazine title quickly and try to find out : how is the text organized?
It has a title; a first paragraph that is in bold; the main text; Diagram(graph); some quotes.
Read the text fast
and answer the questions on page 27 Ex1
1.Who wrote the magazine article?
What is the name of the magazine?
Sophie Armstrong wrote the
magazine article. The name of the
magazine is Earth Care.
2. What are the names of the three scientists mentioned in
They are Dr. Janice Foster,
Charles Keeling and George Hambley.
3. What do they think about global warming? Do they agree with one another? They don't agree with each other. Dr. Janice Foster thinks the effects of global warming could be very serious. George Hambley thinks global
warming will be mild with few bad
4.What are the two graphs about? Graph 1: Graph 1 shows the temperature increase of one degree Fahrenheit between 1860 to 2000. Graph 2 shows the carbon dioxide content in the atmosphere from 1957 to 1997. Graph 2:
5. What is the main topic of the article?
Read the text carefully and sum up the main idea of each part.
Part one: ( para1 )
Introduce a topic / raise a question
Part two: ( para2-5)
Explain how global warming comes about.
Part three:( para6 )
List two different attitudes
Part four: ( para7 )
Draw a conclusion .
1. What is the purpose of the paragraph that is in bold?
To introduce the topic.
2. What are the diagrams for?
To illustrate(阐述) points by providing evidence.
3. The author probably agrees that ________ A. actually global warming is good for man. B. we should do nothing about the global warming. C. catastrophes will happen if the globe keeps on warming. D. a lot remains to be found out about the effects of global warming.
4. "But there are some very different attitudes among scientists towards this issue.” “issue" here means the same as the one in___ . A. I bought the new stamp the day of its issue. B. They are talking about one of the key issues in the election campaign. C. The government is expected to issue a statement about the election. D. The magazine has 12 issues each year.
Read with the tape and finish Part 2 on page 27 True/ false
Read the text again and answer the questions.
1. How has the global warming come about? 2. What are the effects of global warming?
1. How has the global warming come about? Human activity
The burning of fossil fuels greenhouse gases
greenhouse effect (We need those gases)
Huge quantities of
extra carbon dioxide
2.What are the effects of global warming?
①The sea level to rise. ② Severe storms, floods, droughts, famines, the spread of diseases, and disappearance of species.
③ Make plants grow quicker. Crops will produce more. ④ Encourage a greater range of animals.
Of the two ideas, which are you in favor of ?
The Dr Janice Foster’s.
Because we have witnessed a large number of disasters predicted by some people.
The sea level to rise.
the spread of diseases
destruction of species
What should we do about the terrible effects above?
Try to reduce the use of motor vehicles
Solar energy car
Cleaning the rubbish
1.Who are the writers of the letters? Ouyang Guang and the editor of Earth Care.
Read Ouyang’s email and answer:
2.What’s the purpose of Ouyang Guang’s letter?
To get some suggestions for what he can do about global warming.
3.What are Ouyang Guang’s two concerns?
The first is that he feels that individual cannot have effect on huge environmental problems.
The second is that he is not sure where to start with his project.
Read Earth Care’s reply and answer: 5. Does Earth Care agree with Ouyang Guang’s opinion that individuals can have little effect?
No, Earth Care doesn’t agree.
6.What suggestions does Earth Care give him? ①Turn electrical appliances off when not using them. ②Don’t turn up the heat, put on more clothes.
③Walk or ride a bike, don’t drive. ④Recycle. ⑤Buy things made from recycled materials. ⑥Buy products that use less energy. ⑦Plant trees. ⑧Talk with family and friends about global warming.
What else should our government do to slow down global warming?
1.Give money to green the surroundings and protect the forests.
2.Encourage people to find and use more renewable energy.
rare 3.Make laws toplants protect rare plants rare animals and animals .
Return the green world to us
Let’s make this world a better place !
1. on behalf of 代表…一方；作为…的代言人 I’d like to thank you on behalf of my family.
2. put up with 忍受；容忍= tolerate I don’t know how you put up with their endless quarrels. put forward 提出 put off 推迟；延期 put out 扑灭；熄灭 put through 接通电话 put on 穿上；上演 put down 记下；平定 put aside 储存；放在一边
I cannot put up with the toothache. We can't change the bad weather, so we must put up with it. I won’t put up with her rudeness any longer!
3. advocate vt. 拥护；提倡；主张 advocate (doing) sth. 提倡做某事 advocate that sb. (should) do … 提倡….. 如： I don’t advocate building a factory around our school. People advocate that something (should) be done to protect the environment.
4.--- electrical appliance on so long as you are using it. electric: 电的.电力的 (指产生电的或用电直接产生的或用电操作等) electric generator 发电机 an electric shock 触电 an electric light 电灯 electrical: adj. 与电有关的concerning electricity 概括 总称电器 an electrical engineer. an electrical fault.电力故障 electrical equipment/ appliances
5.so long as= as long as conj. 只要, 如果 1. It’s OK to leave an electrical appliance on so long as you are using it. 只要你在使用电器, 使它处于工作状态是可以的. 2. 只要你不把书弄脏, 就可以借给你. You may borrow the book so long as you keep it clean.
? ? ? ?
—Do you have a minute? I’ve got something to tell you. —OK, ______ you make it short. A. now that B. if only C. so long as D. every time
[点拨] now that既然，表示原因；if only是……就 好了，后面一般用虚拟语气； every time每次， 每当，表示时间。
同义词组: on condition that , only if, if
providing (that), 注意:
1. as long as 有时表示 “像…那么久”;
2. only if 接从句用于句首,主句主谓语倒装;
3. if only 表达 “要是…该多好啊!”需要虚拟语气.
You can go out on condition that you wear an overcoat. as/so ______ long ______ as 1. You can go out ______ you wear an overcoat.
provided that/ providing that
2. You can go out ______ / only if ______ you wear an overcoat. if / given 3. You can go out ______ you wear an overcoat. providing /provided Supposing / suppose
26. circumstance n. (多用复数) 环境；情况 in/ under the circumstances 在这种情况下， 既然如此 in/ under no circumstances 绝不，无论如何都不（置于句首时，句子部分 倒装） I don’t remember all the circumstances of the quarrel.
We have been told that under no circumstances _____ the telephone in the office for personal affairs.
A. may we use C. we could use
B. we may use D. did we use
常用结构： There is no doubt that…毫无疑问 There is no need to do… 没有必要… There is no question… 是没有问题的…
There is no reason… 没有理由…
There is no possibility that… 是没有可能的…
There is no knowing/telling…没法知道/说…
There is no pointing in doing…做…没意义
It is a/no wonder that…真奇怪/难怪…
It is no use/good doing sth…
1.Prepare the language points of this passage and underline the important ones.
2.Do the exercise on Page 28.